2015-13 Humboldt State University – Arcata, CA
Masters of Art in Education; Summa Cum Laude
2012-11 Humboldt State University – Arcata, CA
Single Subject Teaching Credential in Art; Summa Cum Laude
2010-08 Humboldt State University– Arcata, CA
Bachelors of Art, Concentration: Art Education and Studio Art
Art Education and Studio Art Major GPA: 4.0; Presidential Scholar 2008-2010
2010 Study Abroad – Humboldt State University Greek Art Program, Affisos, Greece
Completed course work in Advanced Painting, Advanced Drawing, Art History, and Fresco Painting
2006-04 College of the Redwoods – Eureka, CA
Associate of Arts Degree; GPA: 3.88; Presidential Scholar 2004-2006
2016 Member's Exhibition, Morris Graves Museum of Art, Eureka, CA.
Selected Work: "Tied Up," Oil on Canvas, 3' x 4'
2015 Group Exhibition – 5” x 7” Art Auction and Exhibition, Morris Graves Museum of Art, Eureka, CA.
2012 Group Exhibition – Palettes and Paws Exhibition and Auction, Morris Graves Museum of Art, Eureka, CA.
Donated for auction: Triptych, 7” x 10”
2012 Solo Exhibition, Lucidity Fine Art Gallery, Eureka, CA.
Yupo and Oil Paintings of the series, “Dreams, Changes, and Impossible Realities”
2011 Solo Exhibition, Monument Settings, Arcata, CA.
Early work of the Yupo Painting series “Dreams, Changes, and Impossible Realities”
2010 Group Exhibition, HSU First Street Gallery, Eureka, CA.
Greek Art Program Student and Faculty exhibition
2010 Student Exhibition, HSU Reese Bullen Gallery, Arcata, CA. Juried exhibition
Selected work: “Imagining Distant Planets,” Oil on Canvas, 3’ x 4’
2008 Solo Exhibition, Obento’s Sushi Restaurant, Eureka, CA.
2007 Solo Exhibition, Ramone’s Bakery and Café, McKinleyville, CA
2006 Student Exhibition, College of the Redwoods, Eureka, CA. Juried exhibition
2004 Solo Exhibition, Sensation’s, Eureka, CA
Workshops and Art Instruction
Present-14 Art Foundations/Ceramics Teacher – Saint Bernard’s Academy; Eureka, CA
· Teach Junior High Art, High School Art Foundations, Advanced Art, and Beginning and Intermediate High School Ceramics
· Implement a pedagogical and curricular approach that is focused on student-directed learning. This approach emphasizes fostering autonomous behavior by scaffolding the processes of goal setting, self-regulation, and on-going reflection so that students are better prepared to succeed in the 21st century.
· Develop and implement thematic curricula focused on “big ideas” in order to promote greater social, environmental, and cultural awareness. Art lessons emphasize innovative thinking and skill development with the foundational awareness of Art as Communication.
· Co-facilitated an international tour to Costa Rica for 22 high school students.
2014-13 Art Foundations/Ceramics Teacher – South Fork High School; Miranda, CA
· Taught 8th Grade Art, High School Art Foundations, and High School Ceramics
· Organized several student exhibitions at the school and in the local community including participation in North Coast Open Studios as well as a formal exhibit at the Morris Graves Museum of Art in Eureka, CA
· Developed and implemented thematic curricula focused on as aspects of identity, community, and social and environmental activism.
2013-12 Fine Arts Teacher – Morris Elementary School; McKinleyville, CA
· Developed and implemented fine art curricula based on the CA State Standards for the Visual Arts for students in grades Kindergarten through Fifth Grade.
· Collaborated with faculty and the administration to ensure positive and meaningful educational experiences for all students.
· Maintained on online gallery of student work through artsonia.com.
· Focused lessons to ensure sequential learning and retention for all students.
2012-11 Apprentice Teacher – Arcata High School; Arcata, CA
· Solo taught one period and co-taught two periods of beginning photography, integrating instruction of both digital and traditional black and white film photography
· Assisted my mentor teacher with instruction of students of The Arcata Arts Institute, a “school within a school” for gifted young artists
· Co-developed and taught photography curricula during the Spring semester
· Supervised the weekly after school open darkroom hours
· Assembled and exhibited student artwork in a professional gallery setting
2011-07 Artist in Residence– Mistwood Montessori School; Eureka, CA
· Developedand implemented curricula for weekly art classes with kindergarten students
· Integrated a variety of fine-art applications including drawing, painting, and clay work
· Maintained a supportive and nurturing environment while providing opportunities for students to engage in artistic perception, creative expression, historical and cultural context, and aesthetic valuing
· Worked with school principal to create a display of student work at a local art exhibition venue each year
2011-09 Artistic Director – RCCC Youth Art Workshops; Eureka, CA
· Initiated and implemented a youth arts program as an extension of The Redwood Coast Children’s Chorus
· Taught a variety of 3-6 week art workshops to children ages 5-13, including drawing, painting, mask making, mixed-media sculpture, batik arts, and book-making
2011-10 Guest Artist – Redwood Coast Montessori School; Eureka, CA
· Taught drawing lessons to elementary school children once a month
2010-09 HSU Art Education Service Learning Program; Arcata, CA
· Developed a curriculum on techniques and applications in pastel with a focus on anthropomorphic self-portraiture
· Taught a 7-week workshop based on this curriculum to High School students of the Arcata Arts Institute.
2014-12 Museum Programs Manager/Art Educator – Humboldt Arts Council; Eureka, CA
· Oversaw the planning, coordination, and production of HAC programs including Second Saturday Family Arts Day, KEET’s Kids Club, Art Talk Sunday, Jazz Jam, and Afternoon of Dance
· Maintained program and press details, including writing press releases and disseminating information to appropriate media contacts, recording PSA’s, and acted as a liaison between the Humboldt Arts Council and the Community
· Worked with Performing Arts Committee to develop, promote, and manage performances and projects in coordination with Morris Graves Museum of Art exhibits and events
· Handled scheduling, contracts, and payments for performers and service providers
· Created all program distribution material such as fliers and brochures
· Developed and taught a variety of studio art workshops for teens and adults
2010 HSU Art Education Service Learning Program,
· Assisted instructor in studio demonstrations and mentored Art Education students in curriculum development.
2009-05 Administrator/Musical Director – Redwood Coast Children’s Chorus (RCCC),
· Interim director and administrator from 2005-2007; co-director from 2007-2009
· Taught students ages 3-18 in four levels of musical training.
2007 Redwood Coast Children’s Chorus (RCCC) International Tour,
· Facilitated and co-directed an International Performance tour to Spain for 30 Humboldt County Middle School and High School students. On tour students rehearsed and performed jointly with the Salamanca Children’s Chorus, composed of approximately fifty Middle School-aged children
Honors and Awards
2016 Keynote Speaker – Humboldt County Office of Education
Presented a lecture entitled “Student-Directed Learning and Alternative Models of Assessment” as a professional development opportunity for K-12 Art Educators
2013 Invitational Presenter – Humboldt County Office of Education 2013 Arts Education Forum
Presented student portfolio work and commentary based on the theme “Making Learning Visible.”
2012 Featured Artist – KHSU Art Waves
Interviewed for a 30-minute radio segment to discuss new artwork, personal philosophy in art education, and offered workshops for teens and adults.
2011 Recipient of the 2011-12 Retired Teachers Association Scholarship
A highly competitive scholarship granted to a single education candidate each year. Open to credential candidates across all disciplines.
2010 HSU Service Learning Center
Recognized for outstanding contributions to HSU Service Learning Center 2009-2010
2010 Art Education Service Learning Award
· National Art Education Association Member
· Humboldt Arts Council Board of Directors/Arts and Education Committee Co-Chair